List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1024959

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, BENWELL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Newcastle upon TyneMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1971

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 304403

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 26 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BENWELL LANE (south side) Benwell

11/100 Church of St. James. 17.12.71

G.V. II

Chapel of ease 1832; parish church 1843. By John Dobson; 1864 nave and aisle added, 1879-80 organ chamber and vestry. 1895 additions of spire, choir vestry, porch by Hicks and Charlewood. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; dark slate roof with flat stone gable copings. West tower, north- west porch; aisled nave and chancel. Mostly Norman style. 3-stage tower has round-headed windows in first stage, blank second and arched belfry openings containing 2 round arches and a shared shaft; corbel table to coped parapet with octagonal corner pinnacles; octagonal stone spire with slender gabled lucarnes; double boarded north door, with elaborate hinges, in moulded arch; west door in south aisle in plain round arch of 2 Orders. 5-bay aisles have round-headed windows, paired in north-east bay and in south aisle which has 3 low gabled tomb recesses; 2-bay chancel aisles and tripIe east window. Steeply- pitched roofs to aisles and nave and lower chancel. Interior: painted plaster above wainscoting; queen-post roof with painted stencilled decoration to tie beams on elaborately-shaped brackets. North arcade has simple moulded capitals and slightly chamfered arches; lower south arcade of octagonal piers now blocked to make south aisle into parish hall. Baptistry in tower has Gothic font with granite shaft and quatrefoil bowl. 2-centred chancel arch with inner arch on corbelled, paired shafts; slightly chamfered round arch to Lady chapel. Painted arcaded stone reredos with statues; high-quality brass communion rail commemorates former vicar, F. Jobling.

Listing NGR: NZ2179164080

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 21791 64080

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 09:22:19.