List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROYAL VICTORIA SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND

List entry Number: 1024958

Location

ROYAL VICTORIA SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND, BENWELL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Newcastle upon TyneMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1971

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 304401

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 26 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BENWELL LANE (south side)

11/98 Royal Victoria School for the Blind. Benwell Dene 17.12.71

G.V. II

House, now school. 1865 by Alfred Waterhouse for Dr. Thomas Hodgkin. Hammer- dressed snecked sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; graduated dark slate roof with serrated ridge tiles and stone gable copings. Irregular plan. Tudor- Gothic style. 2 storeys and attics; entrance front of 6 bays, with one at left and 2 at right gabled and breaking forward to range round courtyard; 2 bays set back at left, 4 bays extending to right from gabled end of right wing. Extruded 2 storey porch at left of courtyard contains boarded door; loggia, now glazed, in inner right return, has 2 paired openings, central octagonal columns with cushion capitals, and low walls except in right entrance bay which has panelled door with etched glazing under 2-centred arch. Scattered fenestration. 3-light stone-mullioned-and-transomed stair window at right of central section. All other windows sashes with flat stone lintels, alternate-block jambs with shouldered chamfers, and sloping sills. Left projection has rounded ground floor corners corbelled out to first floor continuous string; above this are 3 elliptical-headed niches containing low-relief coats of arms. Central section has 3 high-gabled dormers with bargeboards and clove finials. Many ashlar-coped ridge chimneys with buttresses and square yellow pots. Interior shows geometric- patterned tiled entrance hall and dog-leg stair with pierced balustrade and grip handrail. Stair window glass has coats of arms of Middlesex, Newcastle and Cornwall, initials TH and LAH and date 1865. Gothic cast-iron radiator cover in hall. Historical note: Hodgkin was a notable local historian. He gave the house to the Royal Victoria Home in 1894, and at the same time gave its grounds to the then Urban District of Benwell as a public park. Source: M. Hope Dodds, Northumberland County History, 1930, p.234.

Listing NGR: NZ2125264273

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Northumberland County History - Date: 1930 - Journal Title: Northumberland County History - Page References: 234

National Grid Reference: NZ 21252 64273

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 06:36:01.