List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1024525

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityHaselor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305436

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HASELOR SP15NW 7/86 Church of St. Mary and All 01/02/67 Saints

GV II*

Church. C12 tower and south arcade; early C13 chancel; early C14 south aisle. Upper part of tower dated 1622. North wall rebuilt and vault chamber added 1869. Restored 1883 and 1892. Chancel of regular coursed lias; aisle and upper part of tower of coursed lias rubble; upper part of tower has oolite dressings. Tile roofs. Irregular nave and chancel, south aisle and chapel, south porch and west tower. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. Arched south doorway with chamfered jambs and doorway. Double-leaf doors with decorative ironwork. Open porch said to be C19 (VCH). Lias ashiar and timber. Roof structure has re-used C15/C16 work, with moulded tie beams and arched braces. Chancel has 2 east buttresses. C19 three-light Decorated east window. North wall has blocked doorway and late C12 two-bay arcade to demolished north chapel. Round pillar with simple capital. Two 2-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders; east respond has leaf capital. 2-light window. South side has 2-light Decorated eastern window with trefoiled ogee lights and quatrefoil, and hood mould. Trefoiled lancet in western corner. Buttresses between chancel and nave. Nave has two C19 Decorated north windows. Gabled vault chamber in centre of north side has diagonal buttresses. 3-light window with elaborately crocketed ogee tracery, hood mould and head stops. South aisle has diagonal buttresses and single south buttress. Blank east wall. 3 much renewed C14 south windows of 2 trefoiled ogee lights; eastern window also has quatrefoil. Hood moulds. C19 west lancet. Tower of 2 stages. Stones below parapet on south side inscribed with names of churchwarden and workmen and dated 1622. Diagonal buttresses to west. C14 west window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights and quatrefoil. Upper stage has plain round-arched bell openings. C19 crenellated parapet with string course. Interior: Chancel south-western lancet has rere-arch. South transeptal arch has C13 half-round shafts with moulded capitals, and C19 arch and east respond. Fine C15 roof with curved braces, coupled rafters and central rib between collars. No chancel arch. Nave has simple late C12 three-bay south arcade of square piers with chamfered angles and imposts and single-chamfered 2 centred arches. North arch to vault chamber. Open timber roof with C16 moulded tie beams, and braced collars with central rib. Tower arch has plastered jambs and remains of C12 arch. Ceiling of C18 pew panels. Aisle windows have rere-arches. Arched braced roof with collars and 4 tie beams, the easternmost moulded. Fittings: Font, probably C12, in aisle has tapering cylindrical bowl and moulded base. Chancel has Jacobean panelling, possibly from pews. Datestones below parapet on south side of tower are said to be inscribed with the names of" Richard Skukar", Churchwarden and "Henrye Lane, Henry Hemminge, William Vaughan and John Tompkins, Workemen". (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III. pp.113-114; Buildings of England: Warwickshire p. 408).

Listing NGR: SP1238057892

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1945 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 113-114
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 408

National Grid Reference: SP 12380 57892

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 03:13:14.