List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1024491

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CASTLE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStudley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305553

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STUDLEY CASTLE ROAD SP06SE (North side) 4/205 Church of St. Mary 01/02/67

GV II

Cnurch. C12 nave; early C14 south aisle and arcade; C15 chancel and tower; upper part of tower later C15. Restored 1888 and 1935. Nave has early Cl2 herringbone and coursed limestone; south aisle and lower part of tower of regular coursed lias: upper part of tower of regular coursed brown limestone; chancel of red sandstone ashlar. Tile roofs with stone coped gables. Chancel, nave, south aisle, west tower. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. Chancel has moulded and chamfered double plinth.Diagonal and single north and south buttresses. South doorway with 4-centred arch. 3-light Perpendicular east window. Similar north and south windows: Decorated eastern windows of 2 trefoiled ogee lights and quatrefoil and western trefoiled 4-centred lights. Nave has heavy buttresses. Blocked C12 north doorway has nook-shafts with moulded capitals, scrolled to left, scalloped to right. Chevron round arch and hood-mould with diapered stars. 4 windows. 3 Decorated windows and small C12 round-headed window in one piece, set high up. First and third windows early C14, of 3 lights with cusped Intersecting tracery; first has trefoiled ogee lights and trefoils; third plainer, with cinqfoiled lights. Later C14 western window of 2 trefoiled lights with pierced spandrels. South aisle has chamfered plinth and angle buttresses. Early Engli sh doorways has shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, yellow limestone arch of 2 chamfered orders, and hood mould. Decorated windows. Early C14 3-light east window with Reticulated tracery and sunk chamfered jambs and arch, and hood-mould. South windows similar to north. 2-light west window of paired lancets and pierced spandrel. Perpendicular west tower of 2 stages. Moulded plinth and string course. Full-height diagonal buttresses with 5 offsets. East buttresses abutting nave. C16 moulded 4-centred west doorway. Studded double leaf doors have applied blind tracery,. 3-light Perpendicular moulded west window. Upper stage has single trefoiled square-headed light to west, north and south. 2-light bell openings. Moulded crenellated parapet with string course and crocketed pinnacles. Interior: Plastered walls. Chancel has early C14 piscina with pierced trefoiled round arch. C19 panelled barrel vault. Early C14 chancel arch of 2 chamfered bases and moulded capitals. To nave C13 carved stone square panel, reset above north capital in 1888. Carved with the Lamb and Cross in circular panel with leaves in spandrels. On south side remains of late C13 niche with quarter shafts and straight head. Nave has 6 steps to former rood loft, below north-eastern window. Romanesque north window has C13 painted tendrils. Early C14 three-bay arcade has octagonal pillars and responds with moulded capitals and bases. Tower arch of 2 chamfered orders. C19 boarded barrel vault with three early C16 moulded tie beams. South aisle has C15 piscina with trefoiled 4-centred heads and octafailed round basin. Arched barrel vault with early C16 moulded ribs, carved floral bosses and carved and moulded wall plates and corbels. Fittings: Early C17 oak 5-sided pulpit with arcaded panels and fluted pilasters, on carved stone base of 1909. Chancel has late C17 altar rails with heavy column-on-vase balusters. 2 elaborate wrought iron brackets. Disused early C13 alabaster font at east end of south aisle has baluster with acanthus band and quadrooned bowl. Wooden lid has tall finial of column and ball and 3 scrolls. Late C19 Early English style carved stone font at west end of south aisle has cylindrical bowl and 3 shafts. Stained glass: South east window 1873. Monuments: Very fine C13 coffin lid in chancel has elaborate foliated cross and foliage carving, and Latin inscription commemorating a Prior. Wall monuments: Chancel north Charles Knottesford, died 1697. Sir George Petre, died 1759, by Peter Scheemakers; draped cloth with inscription and small still-life. Humphrey Lyttleton, died 1788. South wall: Mid C17 monument with columns and pediment. No inscription. Nave north-east: Hercey Chambers, died 1712. West wall; Court Dewes, died 1747; Latin inscription. Plaque below with details of Dewes charity. William Fetherston died 1670; inscribed brass with details of bread charity. church forms a group with Old Castle (q.v.) and a number of monuments (q.v.). (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III, p.184-186; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.422-423).

Listing NGR: SP0813763758

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 184-186
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 422-423

National Grid Reference: SP 08137 63758

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 10:06:17.