List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1024455

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityPriors Hardwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305674

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PRIORS HARDWICK CHURCH END SP4756 (East side) 14/98 Church of St. Mary 30/05/67

GV II*

Church. Late C13; nave c.1300; porch C14. Upper part of tower C15. Re-roofed, nave largely rebuilt and vestry added 1868. Ironstone: chancel and tower of squared rubble; nave, porch and vestry regular coursed. Tile roofs have C19 coped gable parapets. High, wide chancel and nave, west tower, south porch and north vestry. 3-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has moulded double splayed plinth. Diagonal buttresses with 3 offsets. Sill course. Unusual 3-light east window of lancets and 3 spherical triangles; bottom part blocked. South doorway of 2 hollow-chamfered orders and rich hood mould has splayed jambs and remains of stiff-leaf capitals; nook shafts missing. Plank door. Short eastern window, set high up, of 4 lights, with uncusped circles. Central and 3 north windows have Y-tracery. South-west window originally similar, but with top removed. Deep, moulded splayed sills. South porch has doorway with outer chamfered and inner moulded order, hood mould and return stops. Double doors with wooden grilles. Small blocked ogee windows, cut from single blocks. Inside south doorway of c.1300 has outer hollow and inner moulded order, and remains of hood mould. Plank door. Stone benches. Nave has east angle buttresses with 3 offsets and west diagonal buttresses with 2 offsets; south-east buttress dated 1868. South-east window has Y-tracery. Larger central 2-light, south-west 3-light and north windows have cusped Y- and intersecting tracery. Low square north vestry has north window of paired trefoiled 2-light straight-headed windows. Large moulded cornice and parapet; flat roof. Tower has west angle buttresses with 2 offsets. West lancet. North and west sides have clock faces of 1938; south side has narrow ogee lancet. Bell openings of paired narrow trefoiled round arched lights, with stone louvres. Moulded cornice and moulded crenellated parapet. Simple pinnacles. Interior: plastered walls. East window has thin nook shafts, stiff-leaf capitals arid imposts, and elaborately moulded arch. North and south chancel windows have rere arches with hood moulds, to north continuous, with head corbels. Moulded sill course. Aumbry, without door, in north wall. Very fine late C13 piscina and 2 sedilia, carved with naturalistic foliage, of 3 moulded orders with shafts. Piscina has C19 openwork cinqfoiled arch and cicular basin within octagonal shelf. Continuous hood mould with a head end stop. Panelled wagon roof with moulded ribs. Very elaborate C19 Early English style chancel arch of 3 orders with naturalistic carving. Nave has continuous sill course and hood mould, forming round arch above south door and arch above door to vestry. Plain tower arch. Arched braced roof, with cinqfoiled lancets and quatrefoils above collar. Large stone corbels carved with medieval style cowled figures. Fittings: plain C13 font. Turned communion rails with pendants of c.1700. Monument: remains of a C15 incised slab. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire: Vol. 5 pp 138-139; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p 377).

Listing NGR: SP4717156193

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1949 - Volume: 5 - Page References: 138-139
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 377

National Grid Reference: SP 47171 56193

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 10:04:25.