List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1024407

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityBarcheston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305765

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARCHESTON SP2639 13/2 Church of St. Martin 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. Martin)

GV II*

Church. C12/early C13 in origin with C14 additions of the north-west tower and south aisle. Alterations in C17 and restored 1870 and 1894. Finely jointed regular coursed limestone rubble and ashlar limestone. Stone slate roofs laid to diminishing courses. Stone coped gables. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north-west tower. Chancel. Romanesque south doorway has plank door and hood mould with label stops and is flanked by 2-light square headed Decorated windows with hood mould. Single lancet to north. North aisle. 2 stone mullioned and transomed windows, one of ovolo section. South aisle. 3-light Perpendicular window with hood mould and label stops to east. Two 2-light Perpendicular windows with hood moulds and elongated label stops. Scratch dial on buttress. South porch. Monopitch roof. Pointed arched doorway with hood mould and headstop. Romanesque south doorway with 3 orders of moulding and decorated capitals. Plank door. Nave to left of porch: A 2-light square headed Decorated window with hood mould and label stop. West window of 2-lights with Decorated tracery. North-west tower. 3 stages with small rectangular square headed lights and ground floor. First and second floors have Perpendicular openings incorporating C13 shafts and capitals. Embattled parapet. Diagonal and offset buttresses. Moulded plinth. String course to first and second floors. Nave has stone parapet with moulded coping and finials. Two 2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows. Interior: Decorated aumbry. Bracket piscina. Chancel arch has a capital with trumpet scallop decoration and another with nailhead. Wagon roof with floral bosses. North arcade of 3 bays with round piers, one with trumpet scallop decoration and another with nailhead. Pointed west doorway to tower. Chamfered arches. South arcade of 2 bays with chamfered arches. Octagonal font with plinth with ball flower, traceried stem and bowl with head decoration. Two C15 benches in chancel. Monuments in south aisle: alabaster tomb effigies of William d.1555 and Ann Sheldon. Brass to Hugh Humphrey d.1530, Stone engraved wall memorial to Thomas Taylor, Rector of the parish. d.1716. Wood and marble wall memoral to William Brent d.1675 with broken pediment, strapwork decoration and heads of lions and angel. Marble wall plaque to Elizabeth, wife of Christopher Smith, d.1799. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol. V, 1949, pp. 6-9; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, pp. 84-5).



Listing NGR: SP2648939944

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 6-9
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 84-5

National Grid Reference: SP 26489 39944

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 11:54:23.