List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SHUCKBURGH HALL

List entry Number: 1024393

Location

SHUCKBURGH HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityUpper and Lower Shuckburgh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305731

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UPPER SHUCKBURGH SP46SE 2/155 Shuckburgh Hall 07/01/52

GV II*

Country house. C14/C15 origins with C15/C16 work; C18 and other alterations. Front range, rear additions and alterations 1844 by H.E. Kendall for the Shuckburgh family. Timber-framed, with some close studding and lath and plaster infill, and some brick; rendered. Some limestone ashlar. Front range of imitation ashlar rendered brick, with some stone dressings. Tile roof; front range and additions have slate hipped roofs, with parapets to front range; rendered stacks with moulded cornices and some round shafts. Complex F-plan, with wings to rear. Italianate or Free Renaissance style. 1-1-3-1-1-3 bays. Front range has rusticated quoins, moulded console bracket cornice and openwork-panelled parapet throughout. Recessed centre has loggia of 2 pairs of Ionic columns, entablature and cornice. Simple angle piers and pilasters inside. Large statue of a dog with the Shuckburgh family crest on pedestal, with attached boot scraper, between each pair of columns; large gadrooned urn to left and right. Central half-glazed double-leaf doors and overlight have moulded stone eared architrave, and outer panels and consoles. Plate glass sashes. First floor has central Venetian window with French casement, consoles and moulded entablature, and shell-moulded typanum with keystone. Sashes throughout, some with plate glass. Most windows have moulded architraves with cornices and consoles of varying patterns. Projecting bays have tripartite sashes, with Ionic pilasters.Moulded entablature has convex central section with large central console. First floor windows have architraves with volutes and segmental pediments, with large keystone abutting window above. One-bay inner sides are similar to centre. 2-storey range set back on left. Central half-glazed 4-panelled door in simple moulded architrave. Narrow plate glass sashes to left and right. Entablature with bracket cornice, and balustrade of 3 openwork panels. First floor set back. Large tripartite French window with Bow-fronted right range has tripartite sashes to ground and first floor, with mullions curving out at base. Low tower above and behind. First floor has moulded sill with 3 moulded panels and elaborate consoles below. 3-bay further range. Ground floor windows have plain surrounds, curving out at base, with consoles and cornice. First floor windows similar to central range. Lower second floor throughout has 6-pane sashes in curved eared and shouldered architraves. Long irregular wing to rear has taller section on left with small gable. One-window section of limestone has C18 sashes with moulded frames and lintels with triple keystones. Timber-framed gable. One-bay projection has C19 three-light mullioned and transomed window, and close studded gable. 3 external stacks. To rear: main range has mid C19 porch turret in right corner. Moulded Gothic arch to front and side.Gothic door. First floor has 3-light casement; top stage has recessed panel with inset round arch and small sash. Modillion cornice. Pyramid roof has painted wood bell turret with ogee roof and finial. Irregular fenestration, mostly C19, of casements and mullioned windows, mostly C19. To left large hollow-chamfered mullioned window of five C16 Tudor arch lights, but with C19 terracotta mullioned above. Large mid C19 kitchen wing on right has 2 cross-windows ,and sash with margin bars on first floor. Panelled walls. Interior: several finely detailed Jacobethan rooms. Entrance hall has ribbed plaster ceiling with strapwork border. Carved oak fireplace, overmantel and doorcases have elaborate arabesque and strapwork carving and openwork cresting. Fireplace has inset miniature of Charles I. Doorcases have elaborate consoles, cornices and cresting. Moulded fielded 4-panelled doors. Screen of 2 pairs of Ionic columns to left of c.1900. Drawing room to left has panelled ceiling with moulded wood ribs and plasterwork with shallow pendants. Dining room to right has plaster ceiling with bosses and large central pendant; cornice incorporating family crest. Red streaked marble fireplace with bulging pilasters and fine brass round-arched grate with arabesque spandrels. Still life painting set in shaped oak leaf garland plaster frame. Fine mahogany moulded 6-panelled doors. Late C17 ante room has bolection panelling with inset tapestries, said to be Mortlake. Plasterwork ceiling in very high relief has central oval wreath, and classical painting; spandrels have branches. Top-lit open well staircase has twisted balusters. Window has Jacobethan style heraldic stained glass. Rear range has broad-chamfered ceiling beams. The Shuckburgh family have lived at Shuckburgh for 1000 years. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.438; Peter Reid: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses: Herefordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, p.172; G.C. Tyack: Country House Building in Warwickshire, 1500-1914, p.318).

Listing NGR: SP4971261860

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 438
Tyack, G C , Country House Building in Warwickshire 1500-1914318
Reid, P, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in Herefordshire Shropshire Warwickshire Worcestershire, (1980), 172

National Grid Reference: SP 49712 61860

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 06:05:55.