List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1024382

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityBrailes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305800

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRAILES HIGH STREET SP3139 (North side) Lower Brailes 15/37 Church of St. George 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. George)

GV I

Church. C13 with C14 and C15 alterations and additions. Restoration 1879. Regular coursed ironstone, stone slate roofs. Chancel, nave, west tower, north and south aisles, north vestry. Chancel: mostly sandstone windows, chancel east window of 5 lights with reticulated tracery. South windows include a 3-light window with intersecting tracery, 2-light traceried window and 4-light Perpendicular window. Doorway with pointed arched head and hood mould. Two 2-light north windows have traceried heads. Nave has parapets with finials to north and south. Corbel table to south has heads. Clerestory of twelve 2-light Decorated windows to both north and south. South aisle: east window of 3 lights with plate tracery, trefoil and cinquefoils. Late C13 windows include a 3-light window with intersecting tracery, four 3-light windows with stepped lancets. 2-light lancet window to west has cinquefoil. North aisle: six 2-light Decorated windows with square heads. Pointed arched doorway with hood mould. Open parapet. Corbel table has row of beasts, and monsters heads. West tower of 3 stages. C15 west doorway has square head with partly renewed stonework. 5-light Perpendicular west window. Double window openings to bell chamfer. Embattled parapet with finials. South porch: C15. Parapet, finials and sundial. South doorway has 3 continuous orders of moulding and hood mould. Renewed plank door. Diagonal buttresses. Coped gables. Sanctus bell-cote has ogee heads and finial. Gargoyles. Interior: chancel has renewed chancel arch in Decorated style and renewed stonework to organ recess. 3-seat Decorated sedilia with stone arms. Decorated piscina. All with ogee heads. Nave has 6-bay arcades to north and south with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. North arcade is later than south, which is probably late C13/early C14. South arcade has piers with differing bases and capitals. Very low pitch roof with corbel heads supporting roof trusses. Easternmost roof beam has traces of C15 painting. Tall Decorated tower arch with 3 orders of continuous chamfers. Late C13/early C14 octagonal font with 8 different tracery patterns. C19 font cover, pine pews, pulpit and stone reredos. Monuments. Wall monument in south aisle to Richard Davies d.1639. Master of Arts, Exeter College, Oxford. Marble entablature supporting still life of books. C15 tomb chest with traceried sides and defaced effigy. C17 and C18 gravestones in chancel floor to Sherley 1633 and Jane wife of Ralph Sherley 1685 - ?6, Jane wife of Barnabas Bishop, Patron of the church 1630; Barnabas Bishop 1635; William Bishop 1687 and Francis Bishop 1712; John Bishop 1627, Dorothy his wife 161?: James Wright 1716. Church of St. George was known locally as the Cathedral of the Feldon. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, pp.217-18; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.V, 1949, pp.21-23).



Listing NGR: SP3153039316

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1949 - Volume: 5 - Page References: 21-23
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgewood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1981 - Page References: 217-18

National Grid Reference: SP3153039316

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 02:35:42.