List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1024347

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityWhatcote

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305928

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHATCOTE SP2944 9/165 Church of St. Peter 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. Peter)

GV II*

Church. C12-C14. Restorations 1820. Repairs c.1940. Ashlar and coursed ironstone rubble. Ironstone banded with limestone at east end. Tile and slate roofs. Stone coped gables with ball finials. Chancel, nave, west tower, south porch. Chancel has 3-light east window with intersecting tracery, a pointed arched doorway with plank; door on south, to left a square headed Perpendicular window. To right a 2-light Perpendicular window with hood mould and label stops. North side of nave: Romanesque north doorway has billet and cable mouldings. Blocked entrance. 2 tall round headed Romanesque windows and a square headed window. South side of nave: 2 lancets and a 2-light window with Y tracery with cusped head and hood mould. Renewed Y traceried window to left of gabled porch. Pointed arched south doorway has chamfered jambs and plank door. West tower: C13 2 stages divided by string courses. Windows include lancets, cinquefoiled pointed lights and trefoiled ogee headed lights. Embattled parapet. Interior: chancel has barrel roof with tie beams. C19 nave roof. C18 altar rails. C18 pulpit. 3 benches with Perpendicular ends. Circular stone font. C18 memorials in chancel to Mary Seagrove, John Seagrove and Martha Drake. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, p.470, V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol. V, 1949, pp.203-4).



Listing NGR: SP2987044534

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 203-4
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 470

National Grid Reference: SP 29870 44534

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 07:54:23.