List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1024311

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityBarton-on-the-Heath

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305944

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARTON ON THE HEATH SP2532 10/9 Church of St. Lawrence 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish church of St. Lawrence)

GV II*

Church. Perhaps Anglo-Danish origins. Early and late C12, and C14 with some C15 alterations. C17 and C19 restorations. Squared coursed limestone with stone-slate roofs. Chancel, nave with south chapel and west tower. Early C12 chancel, the east wall rebuilt C14 and the south wall rebuilt C17. 2 bays, with moulded plinth, quoins and coped gable to east with cross at apex and ball flower ornament immediately beneath. To east a part-restored C14 window of 3 cusped lights with cusped roundel above flanked by mouchettes. Hollow-moulded surround with ball flower ornament to arch. Hood mould with ball flower ornament and carved head labels. To south a C19 window of 2 cusped lights with a quatrefoil. Hood mould. To north a C12 single light, the head decorated with beast carving and scroll work. Towards west of north wall a C14 cusped light, now part blocked. Early C12 nave of 2 bays with coped gables, with cross at apex to east. To south, in angle of nave and south chapel, a C19 lean-to porch. Within, to west wall of chapel, a blocked window of pointed lights within a pointed head. To south a C12 doorway of single semi-circular arch. The edge-roll surround is broken by moulded abaci. Hood mould with plain labels. C19 plank door. To left of porch a C14 window of 2 ogee-headed cusped lights and quatrefoil. Chamfered surround and hood mould with labels. Relieving arch. Towards east a large C15 square-headed window of 3 cusped, ogee-headed, lights with cusped tracery above. The mullions and surrounds are heavily moulded. Hood mould with carved beast-head labels. To left a memorial tablet to Walter Overbury Esq., who died 17-. Elaborately carved base and top. Carved coat of arms below. South chapel added mid C14, with diagonal buttresses, quoins and coped gables with crosses at apexes. To south and east a window of 2 ogee-headed cusped lights with quatrefoil. Hood mould with labels. West tower of 3 stages, the first 2 are C12, the top stage added C14, with saddle-back roof. Moulded string courses divide each offset stage. Coped gables with cross to east. To north a C19 lean-to stone shed. To west of first stage and south of second stage a small chamfered light. C14 bell-chamber stage has a cusped ogee-headed light with chamfered surround and stone slate louvres to each face. Interior: C12 window in north wall of chancel has chevron moulded head on wide inner splays. C19 piscina. Early C12 chancel, probably rebuilt late C12. Semi-circular head of 2 square orders, the inner arch supported on responds with moulded bases, and scalloped square capitals with nail-head ornament between scallops. East side of chancel arch has a fragment of a carved pig and scroll ornament, probably re-used. West side of chancel arch has hood mould with labels. To south of nave a C14 double-chamfered arch with polygonal moulded capitals. Hood moulds with labels. To immediate left of C12 doorway a C15 stoup. C15 window in north wall has moulded piscina with hood mould and labels. Windows have moulded rere-arches. Remains of a moulded string course to west wall. Also to west wall of nave, above a C12 semi-circular arched doorway, an early C12 semi-circular arched light with wide inner splays. Chancel has C19 arch-braced collar-truss roof. Nave has C19 scissor-braced roof. C15 octagonal carved font. In 2 windows to north wall of chancel C14 fragments of stained glass, probably re-used from east window including a representation of the grid iron of St. Lawrence. In chancel floor a brass to Edmund Bury who died 1558, and whose widow placed the monument in 1608. Effigy of a man in Elizabethan costume, and an inscription. Slab memorial to Thomas 0nesbury, knight, who died in 1739. Carved coat of arms and a crest 2 further C17 memorial slabs. To south wall a memorial to Anthony Weoly, who died in 1643, and his daughter who died in 1653. Richly carved marble surrounds with broken pediment. C18 tablet in west wall, and C19 tablet in north wall. In north wall of nave a tablet to William Sands Esq., who died in 1802. Surmounted by an obelisk. (V,C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.15-17; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.86-87).

Listing NGR: SP2560632523

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 15-17
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 86-7

National Grid Reference: SP 25606 32523

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 06:18:54.