List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1024250

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, AVON DASSETT ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityAvon Dassett

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 306110

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for AVON DASSETT AVON DASSETT ROAD (East side) 7/1 Church of St John the Baptist

The grade shall be amended to read II* (star)



AVON DASSETT AVON DASSETT ROAD SP4050 (East side) 7/1 Church of St. John the Baptist 30/05/67

GV II

Church. Rebuilt 1868. Ironstone ashlar. Tile roofs have coped gable parapets; stone stack. Chancel, nave, north aisle and vestry, south porch, and west tower. Gothic Revival C13 style. 3-bay chancel and nave. Buttresses and angle buttresses with offsets. Splayed plinth, sill course with fillet and hood moulds with block stops. Chancel has 3-light east window with Geometrical tracery. Cross finial. 2-bay north and 3-bay south sides have 2-light windows with cusped Y-tracery of alternating designs, hood moulds and block stops; windows become longer moving westwards. North side without buttresses. South porch has doorway of 2 chamfered orders, the inner with half-shafts and moulded capitals with nail-head and hood mould with head stops. Return sides have trefoiled round arched lights. South door of 2 chamfered orders, the outer with nook shafts and moulded capitals, and hood mould with foliage stops. Single light to left and two 2-light windows to right have Geometrical tracery. Dated foundation stone. 3-bay north aisle has 2-light windows with cusped Y-tracery to north and west. Vestry has chamfered arched plank door and east and north trefoiled lights. Stack with round shaft. Roofs of aisle and vestry continue from nave and chancel without a break, but at a different pitch. Tower of 3 stages. Massive angle buttresses with 3 offsets. Double splayed plinth. 4-light west window has intersecting tracery. North and south sides have 2-light windows with plate tracery. Second stage has trefoiled circle to 3 sides. North-east stair turret has square first stage with string course, and semi-circular second stage with stone half-conical roof. Slit windows. Bell stage has nook shafts with shaft rings. 2-light bell openings have trefoiled plate tracery and central shaft with stiff leaf capital. String courses and frieze of blind arcading. Broach spire with lucarnes. Interior: V.C.H. records C14 recess reset beneath chancel north-west window. Grey stone with moulded jambs, cinqfoiled ogee arch with ballflower and hood mould with head stops. North-west arch to organ chamber and vestry. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders and shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Nave has Romanesque style 3-bay north arcade with square responds and round pillars, scalloped capitals and moulded bases, incorporating some 12 fragments. North aisle has east arch of c.1300, of 2 chamfered orders, the inner with detached shafts. Fittings: C19 marble font. Stained glass: west window has fragments of C15 glass. Monuments: chancel recess has C13 stone coffin lid carved in high relief with effigy of deacon in canopy with tabernacle work. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.68-9; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.80).

Listing NGR: SP4114750214

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 68-9
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 80

National Grid Reference: SP 41149 50213

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 03:16:27.