List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WOAD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1024223

Location

WOAD HOUSE, BRIDGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityFenny Compton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 306148

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FENNY COMPTON BRIDGE STREET SP4052 (West side) 6/38 Woad House 30/05/67 (Formerly listed as Woad House and adjoining barn)

GV II*

House. C14 wing; dated 1593; C18 alterations. Regular coursed ironstone. Tile roof; brick end and ridge stacks. T-plan, with cross wing on left. 2 storeys; 4-window range. Entrance in corner has late C17/C18 doorway, with moulded eared architrave, entablature and central console, and moulded cornice breaking forward in centre. Ribbed door. Stone-mullioned windows, partly renewed, with hood moulds on ground floor. Wing has 5-light windows. First floor has good Decorated window, possibly re-set, of 2 trefoiled lights with mullion continued to apex, and mouchettes. Hood mould with remains of carved stops. Main range has 3-light windows to right and above entrance, and 2-light windows. To rear: wing has datestone, now barely legible, and no windows. Interior: hall has large open fireplace with stop chamfered bressumer. Broad-chamfered cross beams have stops and carving. Stone 4 centre-arched doorway. Old plank doors. C17 open well staircase has turned balusters. Kitchen has wide open fireplace with bread oven.

(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.I, p.47; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.294).

Listing NGR: SP4155652242

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Bedford, (1904), 47
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 294

National Grid Reference: SP 41556 52242

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 12:17:26.