List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1024180

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityShotteswell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 306251

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHOTTESWELL CHURCH LANE SP4245 (East side) 10/141 Church of St. Lawrence 30/05/67

GV II*

Church. C12 origins. Early C13 tower; early C14 chancel and aisles; late C14 north chapel and clerestory; C15 spire. Restored 1875. Ironstone ashlar, with regular coursed ironstone chancel. Moulded cornices. Low pitched lead roofs with gable parapets. Aisled nave, chancel, north vestry, north porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has splayed plinth, with diagonal buttresses. C19 three-light east window has intersecting tracery. North and south sides have late C14 straight-headed eastern windows of 2 trefoiled lights and pierced spandrels, and hood moulds. South side has similar earlier C14 western window without hood mould, incorporating former low-side window. Nave has clerestorey, much restored in grey stone, of 3 square-headed windows of 2 trefoiled ogee lights with hood moulds. North porch has low angle buttresses. Archway of 2 chamfered orders dying into splayed jambs. Stone benches inside. Plank north door in arch of 2 ovolo-moulded orders, with hood mould and head stops. North aisle has 2 late C14 three-light windows, restored C17. Eastern window has Decorated tracery with mouchettes in segmental-pointed arch. Central window square-headed with trefoiled round-arched lights and hood mould with head stops. Square-headed western window of 2 trefoiled lights. South aisle has Decorated 2-light east window with hood mould and block stops. Square-headed eastern window of 3 trefoiled round-arched lights and moulded spandrels, with hood mould. Western window of 2 arched lights with pierced spandrel. Tower of 2 stages has splayed plinth and chamfered string course. North west and south west angle buttresses to first stage. Square south east turret below parapet. C19 arched west door. West lancet. North, east and west bell opening of 2 lancets and arched hood mould; west side has blank circle. Plain parapet with string course and cornice. Octagonal spire has lucarnes. Interior: chancel has C14 piscina with trefoiled ogee head. C19 three-bay Gothic king post roof with cusped arches. Narrow C13 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders with moulded abaci and plain hood mould. Nave has 3-bay C12 north arcade with low round pillars and responds, and scalloped square capitals. East and west responds have C14 heads. Late C13 arcade of 3 wider bays of 2 chamfered orders with hood moulds, round pillars and moulded capitals. Tower arch of 3 chamfered orders, the inner on tapering corbels with C13 heads. 4-bay roof of 1902-03 has cambered tie beams. North aisle has ogee west doorway with hood mould and finial. C17 lean-to roof with chamfered cross beams. South aisle has C14 piscina with trefoiled ogee head. East wall has moulded brackets at different heights. Roof of 1902-03 similar to north aisle. Fittings: north aisle has stone benches to north and west walls, and across aisle, with central gap. 6-bay C14 oak screen of trefoiled tracery on cross benches, with C19 balusters and top rail. C19 screen of similar design across first bay of arcade. Font has deep round bowl on short stem and 4 shafts, 2 of round reel possibly C11/C12. Polygonal pulpit of 6 panels of elaborate C15 cinqfoiled tracery with angle buttresses, and some C19 work. Reredos made up of various C17 Flemish oak carvings. Communion rails have C18 twisted balusters. Benches of early C16 traceried panels with buttresses etc., and others made up from panels similar to pulpit C18. Chancel stalls have C18 fielded panel backs. Late C13 hutch chest. Mid C17 carved altar table in south aisle. C17 striking clock without dial, Stained glass. South aisle east window has 14 fragments. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.150-153; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.397-398).

Listing NGR: SP4263845512

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1949 - Volume: 5 - Page References: 150-53
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 397-8

National Grid Reference: SP 42638 45512

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 07:27:35.