List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

List entry Number: 1024091

Location

CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityShipston on Stour

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 16-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 306448

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHIPSTON ON STOUR CHURCH STREET SP2540 (East side) 14/85 Church of St. Edmund 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as parish Church of St. Edmund)

GV II*

Church. C15 west tower, the remainder of church rebuilt by G.E. Street, 1855, in C14 style. Limestone ashlar and squared coursed rubble with plinth. Offset buttresses, quoins and coped gables. Concrete tile roofs. Chancel, aisled nave with north vestry and west tower. Chancel of one bay. To east a 5-light window with central, taller light. Hood mould and label stops. Moulded string course below. To south a single pointed and cusped light. Nave of 5 bays with stone valley stack to north. To east of north aisle a 4-light cusped window. To east of south aisle a 3-light window with intersecting tracery. North vestry has 2-light cusped window to east with hood mould and label stops, 3-light pointed window to north and plank door to west in pointed, chamfered surround. North lean-to porch with painted and chamfered doorway. Within, a plank door with pointed, ovolo-moulded surround. Four north aisle windows of 2-lights with Y-tracery. To south a large archway with chamfered, pointed openings with cusping within a south plank door with double chamfered surround and pointed arch with hood mould. Easternmost bay of south aisle has plank door with chamfered surround, and 3 single pointed and cusped lancets. Four south aisle windows of 3 traceried lights with central, taller light. West end of south aisle has large 4-light window with Decorated style tracery and string course below. West end of north aisle has 2-light window with cusped tracery and hood mould. West tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth and cornice with gargoyles and coped parapet above. To west a part-renewed 3-light window with intersecting, cusped tracery, double chamfered surround and hood mould with label stops. To north, west and south of second stage a chamfered square light. Worn string cornice above. To each side of bell stage a C15 window of 2 cusped lights within chamfered surround and slate louvres. The window to south is renewed. Interior: chancel has C19 pointed, cusped piscina to north and large sedilia with Tudor arched head and hood mould to south. Chamfered, pointed chancel arch with hood mould. Nave arcade of 5 pointed, chamfered arches supported on round piers with round moulded bases and capitals. Scissor braced roof to nave. C18, C19 and C20 wall tablets including one with obelisk and bust above a tablet inscribed 'Near this place lieth interred the body of John Hart Esq., considerable Improver and Promoter of Manufacture in this his Native Town, who, in the Year 1739 Bore the Office of High Sherrif of the County of Worcester. He died Sept. 1 A.D. 1747 aged 73. To his memory this monument was erected by his nephew John Hart'. Stone pulpit with C13-style traceried panels and hexagonal font with C14-style traceried panels with fleuron cornice. C19 stained glass in east window, and in east window of south aisle chapel.

Listing NGR: SP2592740626

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 25927 40626

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 04:42:09.