List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF UNKNOWN DEDICATION

List entry Number: 1024086

Location

CHURCH OF UNKNOWN DEDICATION

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityTidmington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 16-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 306539

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TIDMINGTON SP23NE 7/173 Church of unknown dedication 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish Church (dedication unknown))

GV II*

Church, Dates from c.1200, with early C13 tower and chancel rebuilt early C16, Restored 1874. Squared, coursed limestone with ashlar, slate roofs, and stone slate roof to tower. Chancel, nave with south porch and west tower. Chancel of 2 bays with plinth and coped gable on kneelers, and moulded cornice. Early C16. East square headed window of 3 scalloped lights with mouchettes above. Moulded surround, with hood mould and label stops. To south two early C16 square headed windows, one of 2 cusped lights, the other, towards east, of 2 lights with scalloped heads. Hood moulds and label stops. Further early C16 square headed window to north of 2 scalloped lights, with hood mould and label stops. Nave of 2 bays with coped gables and offset buttresses. To south a C19 stone gabled porch with coped gable and buttress. Pointed arch doorway with moulded surround, and Early-English style shafts and stiff-leaf capitals. Hood mould with carved head label stops. c.1200 doorway with cushion capitals supporting a tympanum with central carved motif and moulded surround. C19 plank door. To either side of porch, and towards east of north side, a C19 two-light window in the Early-English style with quatrefoil-pierced plate and hood mould. Towards west of north side a single round-headed chamfered light. Restored north round-headed doorway with moulded surround and plank door. Early C13 west tower of 3 stages with flat buttresses. To north a stone lean-to vestry, to west a plain double chamfered light. To second stage north and south a plain chamfered light. To third stage north, south and west a 2-light window with central shaft with moulded base and capital. Unpierced tympanum, and hood mould. Single chamfered light to east. C13 corbel table of carved human and beasts heads. Moulded stage bands. Pyramidal roof. Interior: splayed east window. C12 piscina in south wall with scalloped bowl. C19 coloured tile chancel floors. Chamfered chancel archway, the arch itself double chamfered. Triple chamfered tower arch, the innermost order supported on C13 corbels and carved head of a man and woman. C19 pointed doorway into vestry to north. C13 round font, with carved seated figure of a saint to one side. In north-west of nave are C15 restored benches, with panel tracery. The front bench end has poppyhead. Eleven C19 and one C20 wall tablets. C19 glass in east window, and south-east window of nave. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.433; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.3, p,450-451).

Listing NGR: SP2614738557

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 450-1
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 433

National Grid Reference: SP 26147 38557

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 09:42:54.