List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1023956

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiltshireUnitary AuthorityIdmiston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319959

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

IDMISTON CHURCH ROAD SU 13 NE (south side) 3/66 Church of All Saints 18.2.58 GV I

Redundant Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15, restored 1866-7 by J.L. Pearson. Flint with interspersed limestone, and limestone dressings. Tiled chancel and porch, lead to nave and aisles. Nave with north and south aisles clasping west tower. Two storey north porch, and chancel. Cinquefoiled square headed windows, 3-light to nave, 3 light to clerestorey, all with label moulds, but a 3-light earlier panelled Perpendicular window to east of south aisle. C13 chancel has north door and lancets, three close spaced lancets at east end. Nave and aisles have ashlar parapets with cavetto string at base, interrupted by carved stone hopper heads. Porch has a 4-centred arch with quatrefoiled spandrels and label with facetted drop terminals. Two-light window to parvise over, and gable wheel cross. Tower C12 with pilaster buttresses and without offsets, the upper section rebuilt in C19 with three simple bell openings each side and a shingled pyramidal spire. Two-light west window. Uninterpreted crude incisions on chancel quoins and bench mark on tower. Interior: Inner north door 4-centred with quatrefoiled spandrels. Nave C13 replacing a presumed C12 unaisled nave. Arcade of 2 bays, 2 chamfered order arches on clustered columns with round capitals and raised bases, constructed in alternating contrasting Hurdcott and Chilmark stones. High door to rood screen on south side. Roof of 3 bays, C15, with moulded and traceried brackets on large carved corbels, tie beams and moulded ridge piece, purlins and intermediate principal rafters. North aisle has piscina and similar C15 roof, also on fine corbels, all relating to widening of aisles and raising of nave in a major building phase. Simpler roof to south aisle, which also has piscina, but on north side. Chancel has C19 trussed rafter roof with scissor braces. Small piece of torus moulding of earliest phase survives over built-in pilaster buttress on north side of tower. Fittings: Pulpit, C19, Bath stone, with ballflower cornice and carved panels. Font, medieval, a Purbeck limestone octagonal bowl raised on step with stand for officiant. Altar rail, mahogany on iron supports, reading desk and pews all C19, the pews with simple iron candlestick with brass ornament. Monuments: Chancel: North side, a Carrara tablet with cornice shaped top, and curved apron, to Rev John Bowle, died 1788. South side, a Carrara wall tablet with supporting scrolls, cornice with finials and central coloured shield, and apron with acanthus leaves. To Elizabeth, wife of Rev J. Bowle, died 1759. Also further 3 tablets, to Elisabeth Bowle, daughter of 1st, died 1769; Richard Bowle, son of Bishop of Rochester, died 1678 and another Rev J. Bowle, white tablet on grey, with pyramid and arms, all supported on mutules; he died 1836, and later family. In north aisle, 4 wall monuments, at east end, a slate tablet in limestone architrave with broken pediment clasping mantled arms. Further arms with crowned feathers in apron, to Mary Chaundler, died 1680. At west end (a) marble tablet with cornice and apron, to John Andrews of Porton, died 1766, (b) Christian Clemens, died 1754, and Rev Thomas Clemens, died 1747. In south aisle, west wall, a C17 monument, a niche flanked by red marbled columns carrying entablature crowned by mantled and crested arms. Within the niche, a cloaked figure of Giles Rowbach, died 1633, kneeling before an open book on a stand. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire, Church guide 1985).

Listing NGR: SU1971637348

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Church of All Saints Idmiston Wiltshire Church guide, (1985)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: SU 19719 37353

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:36:50.