List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1023844

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, ODSTOCK VILLAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiltshireUnitary AuthorityOdstock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319531

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 12 NE ODSTOCK ODSTOCK VILLAGE (south side)

5/150 Church of St. Mary

23/3/60

II* Anglican parish church. C12, C13 and C14, with remodelling of 1870 by J. Fowler of Louth. Rendered flint nave with limestone and flint chequers to tower and east end, tiled roof with coped verges and cross finials. Consists of 3-bay nave, chancel, west tower and north porch. C19 porch is timber-framed on flint and stone plinth, the inner doorway has a double-chamfered pointed archway. North side of nave has one tall chamfered lancet and a pair of tall lancets with a buttress between. North side chancel has one chamfered square-headed window with a round-arched window at a lower height. East end has angle buttresses and three stepped lancets. South side chancel has two tall lancets with a buttress between. South side of nave has one pair of lancets, a buttress and a single lancet, with a double-chamfered pointed doorway to the left. 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses; west window is a pointed arch with two cusped lancets and hood mould, above is single pointed window and bell stage has 2-light cusped C16 style window to south and west sides and a single C16 style window to north. North-east side of tower has hexagonal stair turret with single lancet on north face. Interior: plastered walls and widely splayed windows. C14 double- chamfered pointed arch at base of tower with octagonal responds and capitals, north side of tower has Tudor-arched doorway and evidence of a removed floor with stone corbels and a Tudor-arched doorway. Roofs of nave and chancel are braced collar-rafter roofs with no bay divisions. Chancel arch is double-chamfered pointed with cylindrical half-shafts and capitals of C13, polychrome tiled floor in chancel. Fittings include a finely carved C16 pulpit with inscription to Elizabeth I, 1580; cylindrical font is probably C13, at west end nave. Pews and choir stalls are Victorian. Memorials include a C14 cusped arch in the south wall of nave, with low tomb with figure incised on lid. At west end of nave is C16 monument with Ionic columns supporting a frieze and cornice with finials and armourial shields in relief below: the inscriptions refer to the Webb family during the C18, eg Maria Webb died 1765. East window has unsigned late C19 stained glass. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: SU1515426102

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: SU 15154 26102

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 10:02:07.