List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ATTACHED RADNOR MAUSOLEUM

List entry Number: 1023791

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ATTACHED RADNOR MAUSOLEUM, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiltshireUnitary AuthorityBritford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319409

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 12 NE BRITFORD CHURCH LANE (east side)

4/29 Church of St. Peter and attached Radnor Mausoleum 23/3/60

GV I

Anglican Parish Church and Radnor family mausoleum C9, C14 and C18 with restoration of 1872 - 3 by G. E. Street. Flint and stone rubble with some chequer, tiled or lead roof with coped verges and cross finials. Cruciform plan, with south porch and north vestry. Gabled south porch of 1873 by Street, has pointed arched door with hood mould. South side nave has three pairs of cusped lancets, with buttress between 2nd and 3rd bays. Small lean-to chapel of 1873, built when Saxon arch inside exposed, has tiled roof and one lancet. South transept has 3-light geometric-traceried window with hood mould with carved head terminals. South side chancel has three pairs of cusped ogee-headed lancets, east end has diagonal buttresses and 3-light window with reticulated tracery and hood mould with carved head terminals. North side chancel has two pairs of cusped ogee-headed lancets and projecting vestry of 1873 in western bay, with 2-light Decorated-styled window in gable. North transept has 2-light geometric traceried window with hood mould. North side nave has three pairs of cusped lancets and one buttress, small chapel in eastern bay of 1873, corresponds to same on south, and has one lancet. West wall of 1764 was rebuilt by Street in ashlar, diagonal buttresses and 3-light window with geometric tracery and hood mould. Square tower over crossing is of 1764, in ashlar with band at eaves level, plain chamfered pointed openings with louvres to east, south and north with oculus to west face, battlemented parapet and pyramidal tiled roof. Interior: Heavily moulded pointed arch inside porch is by Street, doorway inside nave is Saxon round arch in dressed stone. Nave has plain plastered walls with high windows with widely splayed openings, shallow pitched roof has tie-beam with king post and raking struts. Two C8 or C9 Saxon round arches to former porticus flanking east end; north is in dressed stone with fine vine scroll and interlaced carving to jambs, south has arch in Roman tile with plain stone jambs. Double-chamfered crossing arches, transepts have arch-braced collar truss roofs. North transept has ogee- headed piscina and pointed door to vestry. Chancel has same roof as transepts, pointed archway to organ chamber; on north wall is tomb of Henry, Duke of Buckingham, of 1483 with reused crocketed ogee arch over. Fittings: finely carved C17 pulpit reset on Victorian stone base in crossing. Some medieval bench ends in chancel, rest of pews are Victorian, except C18 box pews in south transept. Good early C19 wall tablets in north transept including marble tablet by Bacon to Richard Jervys died 1820 and to Robert Morres died 1841 by Osmond of Sarum. Some fine C19 and early C20 stained glass, especially south transept window, the work and gift of Helen, Countess of Radnor, 1929, west window by Ward and Hughes of London, 1882. Radnor Mausoleum attached to north west corner of north transept, of 1764, altered 1873 by Street with ashlar walls and pitched roof, carved arms of Pleydell-Bouverie family on east wall by John Deval the Younger 1779. All work of 1764 was paid for by 1st Earl of Radnor. (N. Pevsner,Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975. Unpublished records of R.C.H.M. (England) Salisbury).

Listing NGR: SU1629128453

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: SU 16285 28453

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 08:27:13.