List entry

List entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Two bowl barrows 70m south of Buckland Road: part of Reigate Heath round barrow cemetery

List entry Number: 1008852

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyReigate and BansteadDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 16-Nov-1934

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Feb-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 20162

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Round barrow cemeteries date to the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). They comprise closely-spaced groups of up to 30 round barrows - rubble or earthen mounds covering single or multiple burials. Most cemeteries developed over a considerable period of time, often many centuries, and in some cases acted as a focus for burials as late as the early medieval period. They exhibit considerable diversity of burial rite, plan and form, frequently including several different types of round barrow, occasionally associated with earlier long barrows. Where large scale investigation has been undertaken around them, contemporary or later "flat" burials between the barrow mounds have often been revealed. Round barrow cemeteries occur across most of lowland Britain, with a marked concentration in Wessex. In some cases, they are clustered around other important contemporary monuments such as henges. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape, whilst their diversity and their longevity as a monument type provide important information on the variety of beliefs and social organisation amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving or partly-surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Despite the possibility of partial excavation, the two bowl barrows 70m south of Buckland Road survive well and contain archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes two bowl barrows aligned east-west and situated on the Lower Greensand; they are part of a group of seven barrows forming a dispersed linear round barrow cemetery aligned north-west to south-east on Reigate Heath. The eastern barrow is the largest of the two and has a mound 30m in diameter and 2.4m high. Surrounding the mound is a ditch from which material was quarried during the construction of the monument. This has become partially infilled over the years and is now only visible around the northern edge of the mound where it survives as an earthwork 3m wide and 0.2m deep. The rest of the ditch survives as a buried feature. The western barrow has a mound 25m in diameter and 2m high. This too is surrounded by a quarry ditch which is now completely infilled and survives as a buried feature c.3m wide. A space of 12m separates the two barrows. These could be two of the four barrows on Reigate Heath partially excavated in 1809 before the planting of pine trees. In two of the mounds burnt bones were found and in the largest barrow a circular hole 0.5m in diameter and 0.4m deep containing ashes and charred wood was discovered cut into the natural rock beneath the mound. Excluded from the scheduling is a wooden seat on the eastern mound, although the ground beneath it is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Author: Grinsell, L V - Title: Surrey Barrows 1934-1987: A Reappraisal - Date: 1987 - Journal Title: Surrey Archaeological Collections - Volume: 79 - Type: DESC TEXT
  2. Article  Reference - Author: Grinsell, L V - Title: Surrey Barrows 1934-1987: A Reappraisal - Date: 1987 - Journal Title: Surrey Archaeological Collections - Volume: 79 - Type: DESC TEXT

National Grid Reference: TQ 23706 50480

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 10:59:14.