List entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Sherway Bridge
List entry Number: 1005133
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 17-Jun-1980
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: KE 360
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Sherway Bridge, 312m SSW of Sherway Cottages.
Reasons for Designation
Medieval and early post-medieval single span bridges are structures designed to carry a road or track over a river by means of a single arch, typically 3m-6m in span. They were constructed throughout the medieval period, most commonly using timber. Stone began to be used instead of timber in the 12th century and became increasingly common in the 14th and 15th centuries. Many medieval bridges were repaired, modified or extensively rebuilt in the post-medieval period. A common medieval feature is the presence of stone ashlar ribs underneath the arch. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. Where medieval bridges have been altered in later centuries, original features are sometimes concealed behind later stonework, including remains of earlier timber bridges. Bridges were common and important features of medieval and post-medieval towns and the countryside and allowed easy access along a well developed road and trackway system.
Despite late alterations and additions, Sherway Bridge survives well with a significant amount of 17th century masonry work. Deposits buried underneath the bridge will preserve valuable artefactual, ecofactual and environmental evidence, shedding a light on the human and natural history of the site prior to the construction of the bridge.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 8 September 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a 17th century single-span bridge situated over the River Sherway, east of Headcorn in the Low Weald.
The bridge is constructed of ragstone with a later brick parapet. An inscribed stone on the north-west side of the bridge records that it was built by the constables of the Hundreds of Iron and Calehill in 1683. A further inscription, on the back of the stone, states that it was partly rebuilt in 1846.
Kent HER TQ 84 SE 9. NMR TQ 84 SE 9. PastScape 417815,
National Grid Reference: TQ 86761 44686
© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005133.pdf - The pdf will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 02:41:47.