List entry

List entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Medieval moated site 382m south-east of Brackenbury Farm

List entry Number: 1002001

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHillingdonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. As these are some of our oldest designation records they do not have all the information held electronically that our modernised records contain. Therefore, the original date of scheduling is not available electronically. The date of scheduling may be noted in our paper records, please contact us for further information.

Date first scheduled:

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: LO 126

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains. Despite partial excavation and some disturbance in the past, the medieval moated site 68m east of No.78 Copthall Road West survives comparatively well. The site will contain archaeological and environmental information relating to the moated site and the landscape in which it was constructed.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site surviving as earthworks together with upstanding and below-ground remains. It is situated on low-lying ground within a bend on the west side of the River Pinn, near Copthall Farm. The moat is quadrangular in shape and has slightly rounded corners. It is orientated roughly north-east to south-west with an entrance about 3m wide on the south-west side. The four sides of the moat vary between about 40m and 45m long and from 2.5m to 4m wide. At the centre is a square island or platform about 35m long on each side, which rises up to 2m high above the bottom of the moat. A deed of 1531 apparently records the name 'Pynchester Ferme', which has been associated with the site as it is now often referred to as Pynchester Moat. Partial excavation in 1966-9 recorded the remains of a medieval building including flint walls and foundations, a floor constructed of roof tiles, a 3m square hearth, a key-hole oven and a curing-chamber. The medieval pottery recovered included Surrey Ware. A measured survey of the site was carried out in 1984. The monument excludes all modern fences and fence posts, gates and gate posts but the ground beneath these features is included.

Sources: Greater London SMR 050497/00/00. NMR TQ08NE20. PastScape 394947.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 07229 86789

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Aug-2014 at 07:59:53.